Telephone support service
We operate two limited intensive support telephone lines for complex matters and clarifying questions. One for family and child law calls and one for education law calls.
Please view our terms and conditions prior to contacting our service.
The demand for both lines are high and the funding we have in place is limited. We are able answer only a limited number of calls. We would therefore ask you to carefully read through all the relevant available data provided on this website and only contact our intensive support telephone lines with genuine, clarifying questions on the information provided.
The lines are separated into family and education calls. It is important that you ring the correct number for the area of law you require advice on.
If you are calling about family or child law the number is 0300 330 5480.
If you are calling about education law, the number is 0300 330 5485.
- are available Monday - Friday between 8am to 6pm
- can only advise residents of England
- cannot advise without the name, address and telephone number of the caller. This is due to our child protection obligations
- cannot advise if you have legal representation
- cannot advise if your matter falls outside of the remit of child, family or education law.
- cannot provide advice on financial matters including child maintenance
- cannot advise on the merits of appeals
- cannot help students with research projects. Our staff are extremely busy and do not have the spare capacity. We would request that you view the pages of this website for information
Please download one of our factsheets or guides and read through the contents. Should you require further assistance, you are welcome to call our support line.
Please note that abusive behaviour towards our staff will not be tolerated and we reserve the right to terminate the call if this occurs. Our staff will also not tolerate bad language being used during an advice call.
Cost of calls
The Child Law Advice service operates an 0300 number which costs no more than calls to geographic (01 and 02) numbers and must be included in inclusive minutes and discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call packages. Calls from landlines are typically charged up to 9p per minute; calls from mobiles typically cost between 8p and 40p per minute.
You can also book a callback from a member of our legal team, which is a paid-for service. Please see here for full details of how this works.
Email advice service
We provide a limited one reply email advice service on education and family law. To use this service please use the relevant link below. Please be sure to read the terms and conditions thoroughly before using the contact form.
To leave feedback about our services, please use the form on our feedback page.
The Child Law Advice Service has been accredited by the The Helplines Partnership.
If you find it difficult to speak English, call us to connect to an interpreter. We have access to interpreters in 150 languages through Language Line.