The government’s education catch-up chief has resigned in protest over the prime minister’s scaled-down recovery plan, warning it “does not come close” to meeting the needs of children whose education has been thrown into chaos by the pandemic.
In an emotional statement outlining why he could not remain in his post, Sir Kevan Collins said advising the government on the education recovery plan for England’s pupils had been the most important task of his professional life.
But he said the government’s catch-up offer – a £1.4bn plan announced hours earlier, which he said would mean the equivalent of just £22 per child in the average primary school – “betrays an undervaluation of the importance of education”.
Read the Guardian news article here.
Five key takeaways from GCSE results day 2026
Here are five key things you need to know. Read the full article on the BBC here.
Behind England’s bumper A-level results lie record levels of regional disparities
As England’s A-level results were published on Thursday morning, students across the country were pictured celebrating a bumper crop of results, with record rates of As
Heatwaves and illness take their toll as annual school attendance falls
Attendance rates at England’s schools fell slightly this academic year, new data shows, with this summer’s heatwaves and higher levels of illness playing a part.